Emporia Area Match Day

Arvonia Historic Preservation Society

Specific Need

Arvonia Historic Preservation Society has restored the school and church to their past historic integrity, thanks to hard work, dedication and generous donors.  The AHPS is now ready to restore the lighting in the church and to begin the restoration of the township hall. Gifts collected today will go towards these projects.

Mission

The AHPS mission is to provide guidance in the preservation and restoration of the Welsh settlement of Arvonia.  A part of this mission is to raise awareness of the community and to share the history of the school, church and community as a whole.  This includes the Welsh heritage that was once a very important part of this community.

Profile

Arvonia Historic Preservation Society was established in 2014 to promote the Arvonia community and its Welsh heritage.  Since this time, the AHPS has accomplished much and completed 3 phases of restoration.  With the help of grants, fundraisers, and donations the restoration of the school and church is mostly completed.  The Arvonia school was designed by Kansas architect John G. Haskell and constructed by Welsh craftsman James Rice in 1872.  The Calvinistic Methodist Church was built in 1883 and was in continuous operation as a church until 1967.  Restoration of the township hall is scheduled to resume this fall.  It will include updating the electrical, installation of plumbing, plaster, window and door restoration, the addition of heating and air and a septic system.  The township hall was built in 1917.  With the support of people like you, the spirit of Arvonia will live on.

Contact

8090 W. 323rd St
Osage City KS 66523
Phone: (620) 794-3917

Connect with us

Connect on Facebook Send Email

Share this page



Website designed & hosted by Evergreen Giving Day Solutions
Copyright © 2019 Emporia Community Foundation.